Laplink’s PCmover software is the ideal solution for completing data transfers PC to PC, from a hard drive or image to a new PC, and for completing an in-place upgrade to a newer operating system. In this post, we will detail some common questions around PC data migration, and explain how using PCmover Professional as a solution is the best plan for your home or business’s PC deployment scenario.
Question 1: How important is user-friendliness in a solution like this?
- PCmover is very user-friendly. The Pro version comes with an easy to follow setup wizard that guides users through the process of performing the migration. It allows all choices of what to transfer to the new PC (files, settings, user profiles, and even applications.) It is built in a way so that even novice users can easily walk through the process of transferring their data from an older Windows PC to a new one.
- Some users struggle with the PC to PC connectivity and get confused by networks, firewalls, etc. Laplink offers 24/7 Free Transfer Assistance with a trained professional technician who can help users through any questions they might have, and even remotely complete the migration.
- Business, government or enterprise customers have different needs in a data migration. Laplink provides a fully customizable version – PCmover Enterprise – that allows IT admins to create a light or no touch migration. It can be executed by users or untrained technicians out of the box. The customization is very straightforward and no development skills are needed.
Question 2: How big will the impact of the Windows 10 upgrade be for businesses?
- Win 10 will become the new OS of choice replacing Windows 7. Since many business customer did not want to deploy Windows 8/8.1, they have waited with refresh projects and I believe that the adoption curve will be much higher with Win10 than experienced before. Business might not wait for 12 months this time around. We are working with many enterprise which are ready to switch once Windows 10 is released.
- There are a lot of business benefits for jumping to Windows 10 (read more here.)
Question 3: What are some of the stumbling blocks businesses face when dealing with PC to PC transfers, or other migration issues?
- Business have refresh projects very much under control except for the transfer of data, settings, and applications from the old PCs to new ones. Often users are left alone to perform that task themselves, leading to a dramatic increase in the costs (often soft costs unseen from the IT department) for customizing the new PC. These costs come in the form of end-user downtime, help desk support calls, data loss, etc.
- Automated scripts to move data are insufficient to do the job. In a recent study online, it was proven that many companies complained about data loss, since technicians did not know where all of the PC’s data was stored on the machine (beyond the document folder) and users often do not know themselves.
- Manual migrations of data, settings, and applications take many hours; full scale migrations cannot be done without a proven automated tool like PCmover Enterprise.
- Remote locations of personnel increases the costs of completing a PC to PC migration exponentially. We estimated the saving of using PCmover at a minimum of $300 per PC, but in remote locations it can be $1500 and more.
- With users having more options to install applications for their particular job, IT departments often do not know the full inventory and disks, downloads, and passwords.
- PCmover Enterprise is the proven and accepted tool for Enterprises, government organizations, and higher education organizations alike. They value saving time and money to refresh PCs, increasing user satisfaction and enabling large roll-out projects.