The State of Idaho’s Department of Health and Welfare is a government organization dedicated to promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idaho residents.
The department itself uses around 3,000 PCs across seven regional centers, and replaces about 900 PCs annually; each with sensitive, confidential data, unique software applications, and hundreds of individual settings per PC.
Taking into account the most critical factors related to their PC migration process, Laplink Software’s corporate sales team worked to devise a list of features that would benefit the state department in its next migration:
- The need for a customizable upgrade solution that could deploy across multiple regional office locations.
- An easily manageable migration software program.
- A solution that could migrate full applications, eliminating the need to manually reinstall each application from a remote location.
- A software that could transfer personal settings and preferences on each individual’s PC, so end users were not tasked with these steps.
- A software that did not necessitate “babysitting” and was a light-touch migration solution that could deploy overnight, rather than slow down employee productivity during regular business hours.
Laplink’s team recommended PCmover Enterprise as the optimal fit for the state department’s PC replacement and refresh needs.
Barry Crane, the department’s IT Helpdesk coordinator, said: “I was quite skeptical that this type of solution would be workable due to the amount of non-standard, custom software we have on our desktops. But after evaluating PCmover within our environment, we see it becoming a strategic part of our upgrade activities.
Crane and his team of technicians were able to quickly and easily set up hundreds of new PCs with PCmover Enterprise.
“The Laplink corporate sales team was tremendous throughout our evaluation process. They provided us with evaluation copies and made time for several conference calls in order to understand our needs and make sure that PCmover would assist us with our migration requirements. We felt very comfortable after that process in selecting PCmover to help,” said Crane.
- Total cost reduction to migrate 900 PCs is $189,000*
- Helpdesk calls were reduced from 30 calls to one in every 10 PCs.
- Time savings of two to three hours of IT staff time per PC migration, with a total of at least 2,700 hours saved.**
- Reduced stress and frustration caused during PC migration process for end users, and IT staff.
*Cost and time savings are estimates only, resulting from both hard and soft dollar savings captured when using PCmover in the PC replacement process. Hard and soft dollar savings evaluating the impact to support staff and end user downtime, as well as costs of professional services, software licensing, and storage fees. Calculated by multiplying the average cost saving of $210 per computer by 900 computers.
** Calculated by multiplying 900 PCs by 3 hours saved per computer deployed.